Medjools are often informally known as the “king of dates,” the “diamond of dates,” or the “crown jewel of dates.” They are what is known as a “soft” date. The fruits are usually categorized as soft, dry, or semi-dry in reference to their texture and taste. Soft dates are usually considered to be the most exquisite in part because of how much harder they are to grow.
If you're willing to give these guys a try, I know you won't be disappointed! Here's a recipe from a wonderful site that I follow (www.healthyhappylife.com).
Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Stuffed Medjool Dates
By Kathy Patalsky
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted (Natural Delights used)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 -1/3 cup nut butter, softened to room temperature
- coarse sea salt
- superfood toppings: try coconut, goji berries, chia seeds, cacao nibs, spices and more.
- Pit dates.
- Fill dates with nut butter, press closed with fingers. Place dates in the freezer to chill for 5-10 minutes - this will help them be coated in the chocolate more easily.
- Warm chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave until soft, stir briskly until silky smooth. Make sure chocolate cools a bit before dipping.
- Dip stuff chilled dates in the melted chocolate. Coat well. Lift date out of chocolate with fork and place on a parchent paper lined plate or small baking sheet.
- Top date with sea salt and optional superfoods. Repeat until all dates are coated.
- Place finished dates, on parchment paper, in the freezer until firm enough to handle and eat. Usually about 5-15 minutes. Store leftover in the fridge -- let the stored dates warm a bit before serving for a softer texture.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 10 mins.