According to The Wellness Institute, these are just some of the characteristics of being an 'empath.' Over the past several years, being labeled an empath has been all the buzz. According to Psychology Today, "Empathy is the experience of understanding another person's condition from their perspective. You place yourself in their shoes and feel what they are feeling. Empathy is known to increase prosocial (helping) behaviors. While American culture might be socializing people into becoming more individualistic rather than empathic, research has uncovered the existence of "mirror neurons," which react to emotions expressed by others and then reproduce them."
It wasn't until I recently attended a training that I was able to see how much I fit into the category of being an empath. There's more to the label of being 'sensitive.' Here are just a few of the common traits that empaths possess according to The Wellness Institute:
- Knowing-empaths just know things without being told. It's a knowing that goes way beyond intuition or gut feelings.
- Being in public places can be overwhelming: Places like shopping malls, supermarkets, or stadiums where there are lots of people can fill the empath with overwhelming emotions that are coming from others.
- Always looking out for the underdog (Rescuing): Anyone, human or animal who is suffering in emotional pain or being bullied draws an empath's attention and compassion.
- Addictive Personality: Alcohol, drugs, sex, and food are some of the addictions that empaths turn to, to block out the emotions of others. It is a form of self protection in order to numb all the pain they have emotionally and physically taken on from others.
- Need for solitude: An empath will go stir-crazy if they don't get quiet time. This is even obvious in empathetic children.
- Always looking for the answers and knowledge: To have unanswered questions can be frustrating for an empath and they will endeavor to find an explanation.
- May choose not to buy previously owned items such as antiques vintage or second-hand: anything that has been pre-owned carries the energy of the previous owner.
- Can appear moody, shy, aloof, disconnected: Depending on how an empath is feeling will depend on what face they show to the world. They can be prone to mood swings and if they've taken on too much negative energy from others, they will appear quiet and unsociable, even miserable.
These are just a few characteristics of empaths. There is a lot of information online about empaths, so I encourage you to check it out. If you recognized yourself in any of these common characteristics, then perhaps you are an empath. And speaking from my own experience it was quite liberating to explore these themes in my life. I wish you much curiosity and joy as you delve into your search.
May You Sweetly Seek:)